“All roads lead to Rome”- Ancient Roman Proverb
Classic: Holy Souls and Miracles
Annual Inside the Vatican Magazine Pilgrimage in Italy
September 23 – October 2, 2021
We have carefully budgeted our Classic Pilgrimages for travelers so that they can experience the unique qualities of Inside the Vatican Pilgrimages at our most affordable price, without sacrificing Inside the Vatican integrity and style. These pilgrimages are limited to 35 pilgrims, never more! We cap the number of pilgrims because we want to keep each pilgrimage as intimate as possible.
During this pilgrimage in which we seek the guidance — and prayers — of “Holy Souls,” we will encounter the holy men and women of old who have left something of their spiritual presence in the places we visit. There are living souls filled with God’s grace, too, and we are very blessed to have Fr. Cassian Folsom, the founding abbot of the resurrected Benedictine monastery near Norcia, Italy, as one of the living “holy souls” on our pilgrimage. It is a privileged time to be part of the living Body of Christ, during these days of the “two Popes” — Benedict and Francis – two other “holy souls,” so very different and yet each so filled with the love of Christ and His Church.
We will also have the privilege of witnessing two miracles. One is the Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano, which not only strengthens our faith in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, but also spurs us to greater love and gratitude to the Lord who has given us this gift: “I believe, O Lord; Help Thou my unbelief!”(Mark 9:24)
The other is the Holy Face of Manoppello, the image of Jesus inexplicably appearing on a rare cloth made from the beards of mussels; it is the Face about which St. Therese of Lisieux wrote: “Thy face, in its unearthly grace/ Is like the divinest myrrh to me.”
This pilgrimage of encounter with Holy Souls and Miracles will be a unique, grace-filled opportunity for spiritual enlightenment and refreshment for you and your fellow pilgrims.
September 22- October 2, 2021
- Spend ten (10) nights at the Villa Serenella, the Maronite monastery in Rome
- Meet Dr. Robert Moynihan, leading Vatican analyst and founder and editor of Inside the Vatican magazine, Deborah Tomlinson, Chief Operating Officer, and friends of Inside the Vatican magazine
- Gain insight into the Vatican from Dr. Moynihan and his more than 35 years covering the Vatican. His historical and current prospective will broaden your understanding of our Church today and deepen your faith
DAY 1: ROME
- Join Dr. Moynihan on a private tour of St. Peter’s Square
- Pray and attend Mass at the Basilica of Santo Spirito, the Divine Mercy Sanctuary in Rome
DAY 2: LANCIANO and MANOPPELLO (Day Trip)
- Venerate the famous Eucharistic Miracle and the Holy Face of Manoppello
DAY 3: ROME
- Walk along the Appian Way
- Explore the Catacombs of Callixtus
- Visit the Church of Three Fountains, St. Sebastian’s and the Domino Quo Vadis church and learn of their importance in the lives of Sts. Peter and Paul.
- Encounter Our Lady at the Grotto of Our Lady of Revelations
DAY 4: SUBIACO (DAY TRIP)
- Tour the Sacro Speco (Holy Grotto), the cave where St. Benedict lived as a hermit, and an adjoining monastery, with our dear friend, Fr. Cassian, re-founder of the Benedictine monastery in Norcia, Italy, who will celebrate a private Mass and deliver a spiritual reflection on early Christian monasticism
DAY 5: ROME
- Attend Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica and tour the basilica with Dr. Moynihan as our guide.
- Sunday Angelus with Pope Francis in St. Peter’s Square as a guest of Inside the Vatican magazine
- Lunch and free time to explore and shop for religious articles for the papal blessing on Wednesday
DAY 6: ASSISI (Day Trip)
- Tour the Basilica of St. Francis and visit his tomb; attend Mass at the Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels and pray in St. Francis’ Portiuncula; visit the Basilica of St. Clare and pray at her tomb; enjoy a walking tour of Assisi
DAYS 7 through 10: ROME
- Visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Trastevere, the neighborhood where the earliest Christians lived
- Attend a Papal Audience as a guest of Inside the Vatican magazine
- Attend a Vatican Forum – a panel of important Vatican officials moderated by Dr. Robert Moynihan to discuss the issues facing the church for the previous twelve months. PIlgrim participation encouraged.
- Visit and pray in two of the four major Basilicas of Rome: St. Mary Major and St. John Lateran
- Visit the Churches of St. Prassedes and St. Pudentiana, the latter serving as the first papal residence and site of a Eucharistic Miracle
- View the Miraculous Icon of our Mother of Perpetual Help on display at the church of San Alfonso
- Climb the Holy Stairs on your knees near the Basilica of St. John Lateran
- Visit Santa Croce, the church containing relics of the Passion from Jerusalem
- Experience a driving tour of Ancient Rome and see the Roman Forum, the Coliseum, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus and the Arch of Titus
- Enjoy a walking tour of Baroque Rome led by Dr. Moynihan visiting the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona and the Basilica of Sant’ Andrea della Fratte to view six Caravaggio paintings and the Madonna Del Popolo, the miraculous image of Our Lady painted by St. Luke.
- Visit the Basilica of Sant’Andrea delle Fratte, where Our Lady appeared to Alphonse Ratisbonne as she appears on the Miraculous Medal
- Visit “Little Lourdes” the site of the miracle of The Floating Stone Madonna
- Enjoy a Farewell Dinner at the monastery