THE ALETEIA EXPERIENCE
Join us in Rome for an unforgettable experience. Attend Pope Francis’ Papal audience and receive his blessing in St. Peter’s Square. Meet the “living stones” of our faith — the men and women of the Vatican, Rome, Italy and even ourselves, pilgrims from around the universal Church.
The Aleteia Experience in Rome, brought to you by Inside the Vatican magazine
October 29-November 5, 2018
Welcome to The Aleteia Experience. Aleteia means “truth” in Greek, and the Christian faith is based on the truth of the life, teaching, suffering, salvific death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. For 2,000 years, that truth has brought hope and joy to millions who have encountered Christ through his Church, through his saints, through the “living stones” who testify to their own encounter with Christ, and so persuade others to follow Him.
The Aleteia Experience is a week in Italy which becomes an experience of the past and present life of Rome, the Eternal City, in a way that can deepen faith, increase hope, and prompt a new commitment to the love of God and our brothers and sisters. In this sense, The Aleteia Experience is an experience of the truth of the faith that issues in deeper spiritual life.
Everything in this week is designed to bring you into close contact with the truth of the faith. We spend five days in Rome and two days outside of Rome. We visit many holy shrines, and we meet with many simple Christian believers who bear witness to their faith and deepen our own. We have designed this pilgrimage for you, to immerse you in the life of the Church in Rome today, and as it has been lived for 2,000 years. So please come and join with us as we walk through Rome’s streets, pray in Rome’s chapels, visit Rome’s shrines, and those of Assisi and Lanciano and Manoppello, and become part of a new generation of Catholics who bear witness to the truth of the faith around world.
- Spend 7 nights in Rome
- Attend a Papal Audience as a guest of Aleteia
- Attend the Aleteia dinner in Rome
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Vatican museum, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
- Visit Santa Croce, the church containing relics of the Passion from Jerusalem
- Travel along the ancient Appian Way
- Pray at the Basilica of Santo Spirito, the Divine Mercy sanctuary in Rome
- Visit three beautiful Roman Basilicas, St. Mary Major, St. John Lateran and Santa Croce
- Venerate the oldest known icon of Our Lady, believed to be painted by St. Luke
- Dine with friends of Aleteia
- Enjoy a walking tour of Baroque Rome to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona
- Visit and pray in the famous Basilica Sant’Andrea delle Fratte, where Mary appeared to Ratisbonne, a catalyst for the arrival of the devotion of the Miraculous Medal in Italy.
- Meet Vatican officials and learn about the Vatican and our church today.
Assisi (the birthplace of St. Francis, born 1181)
- Visit and pray at the tomb of St. Francis in the Basilica of St. Francis
- Visit and pray at the tomb of St. Clare in the Basilica of St. Clare
- Visit and attend Mass at the Basilica of the Angels built over the Portiuncula — the little church built by St. Francis
- Explore the beautiful medieval city of Assisi
- Meet the Franciscan Friars living in Assisi today
Manoppello & Lanciano
- Visit and venerate the relic of the Holy Face in Manoppello
- Visit and venerate the Eucharistic miracle in Lanciano